Deputy Head Chef- Foresters Bar & Restaurant
About This Position
- £29,000 + Depending on experience
- Permanent, full time, 48 hours per week inc daytime, evenings, weekends and bank holidays on a rota basis
The Foresters is one of the catering outlets at Landal Darwin Forest it is usually open 7 days a week and serves a range of delicious meals throughout the day from 12 noon until 9pm (Monday - Saturday the kitchen is closed from 3-4pm). The Foresters includes a large designated family area, a conservatory reserved for adult diners and a large patio with adjacent playground.
All our food is freshly cooked to order using locally sourced ingredients and we cater for a range of dietary requirements and have a children's menu. We also serve daily specials and an afternoon tea.
Purpose of Post:
The Deputy Head Chef, alongside the Head Chef will be responsible for the general day to day running of all aspects of the Foresters Kitchen with your passion for creating exquisite food and an excellent customer experience you will ensure that health and safety requirements are met whilst actively providing advice, guidance and encouragement to all members of the Foresters team.
To work with the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to develop and produce inspiring plates of foods of the highest quality, using seasonal ingredients from the local suppliers.
To lead a kitchen team and work with the Head Chef and Food & Beverage Manager to produce food which represents our mission statement “delight every guest so they wish to return”.
You will work with the Head Chef to ensure the smooth operation of the kitchen and to grow Foresters through product development and innovation with a view of quality service and food excellence.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To assist in increasing the revenue and profits from catering at Pinelodge Holidays.
- To assist the Head Chef in all operational aspects of the catering business.
- To assist with the successful co-ordination of catering at Darwin Forest.
- To ensure that all food is served to an excellent standard to customers and their guests.
- To lead, motivate and inspire a kitchen team to maximise efficiency and set the highest operational standards.
- To assist in managing schedules and holidays and deliver staff costs in line with agreed budgets
- Assist with induction, training, development, and performance management.
- To ensure all staff have the necessary health and safety and food hygiene training for their specific role.
Food Production and Product Development
- Work with the Head Chef & Food and Beverage Manager to create innovative and cost-effective menus reflective of seasonal availability
- Own product specification and ensure all dishes have a detailed recipe and a clear production brief to ensure consistency.
- Help review all operating practices with a view to improve efficiencies and service standards.
- Help develop a costing database for all current and any proposed new dishes. Work with the Head Chef and Food and Beverage Manager to list all products on the Till Point EPOS system prior to being offered on the menu.
- Work closely with the suppliers to achieve the best prices for all purchased goods.
- Assist with delivery acceptance and ensure that returns to suppliers are monitored and respective credits are received.
- Help monitor all wastage, minimising waste volumes where possible
- Assist in compliance with all HACCP, food hygiene, and health and safety procedures. Maintain appropriate standards and help maintain records and accommodate visits from Environmental Health Officers, Trading Standards Officers and 3rd party auditors.
- Assist in ensuring all staff are appropriately trained on all areas of compliance including the wearing of appropriate safety protection clothing provided, as required, at all times
- To have a clear understanding of the monthly Profit and Loss.
- Help ensure that all specifications and costings are in place before any menu changes.
- Assist in tracking and managing overheads, packaging and all other variable costs.
- Any other duties required by the needs of the business and the professional fulfilment of the role.
Ideal candidates will appreciate importance of acting as an ambassador for Pinelodge Holidays and strive to “delight every guest so they wish to return”. The Foresters kitchen team are representatives of Pinelodge Holidays and must demonstrate a friendly, welcoming and professional image at all times.
We would like to hear from you if you have the following:
- Creative and inventive when it comes to food
- Ability to produce excellent high-quality food
- An understanding of ingredients and produce
- Kitchen management skills
- Good teamworking skills and the ability to assist in leading and motivating a team
- Deep knowledge of the food industry
- Customer oriented mindset
- Ability to communicate with all levels of staff with a positive and approachable manner.
Ideal Qualifications although not essential but must be willing to work towards obtaining:
- Emergency at Work First Aid
- Hold Level 2 Food Hygiene Certificate
If you would like to join our team at Evolution, please email your current CV to
How To Apply
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org